2019 Improvisation Workshop
Saturday, November 9 10-2pm at Central High School. Lunch Provided. FREE
Minnesota Jazz Education (MJE) invites local high school-aged jazz combos to participate in an improv workshop. A variety of activities are planned, including improv clinic, combo intensives and a master class for each instrument. Clinicians include Lauren Husting, (trombone), Stephanie Wieseler (saxophone), Omar Abdulkarim, (trumpet), Tasha Baron (piano), Liz Draper (bass), Beth Varela (drums).
This workshops is for combos that meet the requirements (below); not for individual players. Space is limited to four combos. Combos and will be accepted via email confirmation on a first come, first served basis.
- All combo members must be in high school, and can attend the different schools
- All combos must have full instrumentation at workshop (minimum 3 pieces, preferably 4 or more, though not a big-band)
- Combo can be new to playing with each other–OR–be already formed
- Musicians may only play with one participating combo
- Combos should bring one or two tunes they’d like to work on
To secure a spot for your combo, please contact MJE Program Coordinator, Katia Cardenas at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the names and instruments of all players in your combo. This program is made possible by a STAR Grant from the City of St. Paul.